Hardware Engineer I
Title: Hardware Engineer I
Reports to: Hardware Manager
Location: Cleveland, OH
FLSA Status: Exempt
How You'll Make An Impact
As a Hardware Product Engineer I, you will be responsible for developing, testing, releasing, and sustaining hardware products. You will be a developer, thinker, researcher, tester, and tinkerer. You interpret vision from senior leadership by creating art with your physical product designs because it is in line with solutions achieving the company vision.
What You'll Do
You will be an individual contributor to a variety of functions. You may not initially possess competencies in all of these areas, but you will be mentored by colleagues to improve your skills in areas you do not have experience.
- Follow best practices using ECAD and MCAD tools (Altium Designer, Solidworks) to create electrical and mechanical designs that meet the needs of the overall product.
- Research and select parts by collaborating with vendors and suppliers.
- Capture schematic designs, determine PCB stack-ups, and design PCB layouts.
- Bring up prototype PCBAs and validate board-level and system-level functionality.
- Deliver design files to contract manufacturers and internal fulfillment teams.
- Design, prototype, and test mechanical components and system-level products.
Embedded Firmware Engineering:
- Design, develop, test, and deploy embedded firmware using technologies such as C, U-Boot, and Linux (user-mode software and kernel-mode drivers).
- Design, develop, and debug FPGA designs using Verilog and Xilinx Vivado.
Hardware Test Engineering:
- Develop automated test software using NI LabView, Python, and NI TestStand.
- Define and refine hardware functional test instructions.
As part of the BoxCast Team:
- Achieve excellent project results by actively participating in sprint planning, kickoff, and review meetings.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of product designers, software engineers, hardware engineers, and business leaders.
How You'll Display Our Values
- Integrity: you will be a beacon of trust and ethical engineering among a team of talented engineers.
- Collaboration: you will routinely interact with employees at all levels of the company, including company leadership and employees in other departments.
- Judgment: you will make the best architectural decisions, even if you only have limited or at times unclear supporting data or requirements.
- Achievement: you will contribute and develop reliable and high quality products that inspire your colleagues and the broader organization.
- Innovation: you will develop cutting edge products for our end-to-end live video streaming SaaS platform.
- You are passionate about learning and growing in a variety of disciplines to improve your overall product design competency.
- You are energized by developing products as part of a cross-functional team.
- You communicate clearly and can articulate the strategy and rationale behind your decisions.
- You strive to be analytical and objective, and you partner with teammates who share this mindset.
- You sweat the details because you know that millions of people rely on what you’re building.
- You do what it takes to prioritize and get the highest impact things done.
- You get organized, stay focused, have a bias towards action, and break down obstacles in your way.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering.
Ideal Candidates Have
- Practical experience with circuit design, testing, and debugging.
- Schematic capture and PCB layout experience (Altium Designer preferred).
- Experience with microcontrollers, embedded processors/SoCs, and/or FPGAs.
- Experience working on multiple levels of embedded system designs.
- Programming experience in languages such as C, Python, NI LabView.
- Experience with mechanical design, test, and manufacturing.
- Experience with version control systems like GitHub and Subversion.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and excel in multiple engineering disciplines.
- Understanding of a Live Streaming ecosystem.
- A competitive base salary
- Flexible DTO (discretionary time off) policy
- Benefits plan including medical insurance, dental insurance, and more
- A newly renovated office environment near the popular West 25th Street area
- Stock options incentive opportunity